Sunday 17 April 2011

Snooker

So recently I’ve become really interested in snooker. Since going to university in September, I’ve started playing pool - I’m nothing special and get beaten most of the time. Although I can be competitive, I enjoy the banter and drinking more than anything. I even had a few games with my dad last Christmas. But when I started watching this year’s Snooker World Championship on TV, I knew things were going slightly awry.

Me 'playing' pool
Unlike football, snooker’s not really that exciting – or at least to me it isn’t. With football it’s hard not to cheer on a side, even when it’s not your team playing. The main difference is passion. We see passion and commitment in the players, managers and supporters. Whether it’s Stoke City making it to the FA Cup Finals, Brighton and Hove Albion getting promoted or a Sheikh investing in a new team, passion is literally what makes football work.
Brighton and Hove Albion and their passion
Today, Arsenal played Liverpool in a 1-1 draw with two penalties in extra time. Arsenal manager, Wenger, complained to his counterpart, Kenny Dalglish, who told him to ‘piss off’. This may be a negative example of ‘passion’, but it certainly makes for compulsive viewing. Although considerably ‘downmarket’, we all like to see players get angry – just as much as we like to see them win.
Piss off, Wenger
On the other hand, when I watch Higgins, Williams or Hendry play, I’m confident that with every shot, they’ll pocket the ball. The systematic precision these snooker players bring to the table actually makes the game less exciting. It’s impossible to be an underdog when the difference between players is superficial – this year, defending champion Neil Robertson was felled by Judd trump in the first round.

On the topic of passion, snooker players rarely cheer, get angry or even smile. How can I empathise with these players when they look indifferent and bored? Sure, when they get a 147 they cheer, but then again they do win a hefty prize. Footballer Jack Wilshere posted a picture of himself kissing his team’s badge on Twitter. When will we ever see Ding Junhui kissing his carefully ironed waistcoat? Football supporters stand on edge and shout throughout the match – snooker supporters sit in silence and get told off for eating sweets.
An example of a passionate snooker referee
But still I find snooker interesting – and yes, it is because of passion. Unlike football, I believe passion in snooker is more withdrawn and understated. Around the table, a calm respect is observed by all involved; from a player waiting patiently for his turn to the silk gloves of the referee. Of course all the players are unlikely to miss their shot, but you must respect the time and dedication it took them to reach that standard of playing. Not only that, you have to respect their fortitude and measurement throughout the match. Unlike footballers, snooker players don’t break a sweat, even if they’re one frame away from losing. I believe snooker players uphold a huge degree of dignity in their game. It’s impossible not to appreciate that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment