Friday 8 April 2011

Salisbury


When people often think about university, they often think about cuts, student protests and Nick Clegg. I go to De Montfort University in Leicester and so far there has been no official word on if the yearly tuition fee will rise. Similar ‘new universities such as Oxford Brookes have just announced the increase to £9,000.  I study Journalism and Creative Writing and aspire to be a journalist in the future –will cuts have an impact on me? Absolutely, but should I be worrying about it now? Not necessarily and, in fact, when I think of University, politics rarely crosses my mind.

I think about the many things I have learnt over the past six months and how they’ve enriched me as a person – the philosophy of identity, going out in Leicester to report for the first time. I remember all the unique people I have met and how I’m looking forward to seeing them again – nights out, banter, my girlfriend. I remember trying to motivate myself to finish an essay the night before, but also the satisfaction at getting a first on a football report. My proudest moment was finding out a prose I had written was going to be published in a young writer’s magazine.

Now I have returned to the South for the Easter holidays, it might be time to reflect on the year and kick back. Instead, I find myself thinking exactly the opposite – how can I make the most of my time off? Salisbury holds plenty of opportunity and inspiration for writing with historic places such as Old Sarum, Stonehenge and Salisbury Cathedral. There’s also surrounding villages to get lost in and write about. I can also increase my online presence from home with my time off by writing articles and blogs.

However, because of my absence from a place I regard as home, I have been yearning to do things I haven’t done in a while – go to places to such as my old school, meet people I’ve lost contact with and even do old chores I haven’t done in a while like washing the car. This might be attributable to conditioning i.e. this is what I’ve done at home before and I want to redo them because it’ll make me feel more secure. It could be true, but I want to look about it in a different way.

I want to feel as if I am rediscovering Salisbury. I can look at things in terms of how it can be used for my prose, but it goes deeper than that. Because my identity has changed significantly since going to university, it is possible to look on things in a new light and reflect it onto the new me. How does the new Jon Margetts perceive things, how has he changed? I think therefore, my journey back to Salisbury and the next few months are a chance to rediscover not only who I am, but the person I once was and might have forgotten. 

No comments:

Post a Comment