Saturday 9 April 2011

School Trip

 When I was doing my History GCSE at school, we went on a trip to Old Sarum. The justification for going on a trip to an Iron Age hill fort was to gather evidence and facts for a five hundred word essay. In the summer of 2006, we were just glad to have a day off our ‘strenuous’ activities at school, and that was exactly how we perceived things. We lazed around chatting and eventually wandered into Salisbury to look round the shops. Although I did get a high grade on that assessment, I couldn’t help 
but think how things could’ve been different.

Entrance to Old Sarum

This morning, I went back to Old Sarum to take Jess for a walk and thought exactly the same thing. I thought about what a waste that trip had been. There was the aspect of not actually appreciating an ancient place like Old Sarum for what it really is - an impressive testimony to our ancestors’ survival instincts. The Iron Age fort was built around 500 BC near safe supplies of water, it is high up and the neighbouring land could be easily farmed. Hunters and farmers had exploited this since Neolithic times in 3000 BC.

However, it is also a place of astonishing natural beauty – like the trip six years ago Salisbury is 18 degrees, sunny and clear. From the top of the hill, it is possible to see far over the Wiltshire landscape. Jess and I loved exploring the remains of the first cathedral of Salisbury, demolished in 1219 and wandering around its perimeter. Five years ago, I didn’t notice any of this. I was too busy concentrating on matters of inconsequence such as who was doing what at school, where we should 
go to in town.

Exploring ruins
In regards to things I regret in life, it’s not a main worry because I still passed with a high grade and I have the opportunity to return whenever I want. However, it is reflective on the way things were back then and how easy it is to ignore the significance of my past attitude. Indeed, when else did I choose to not do something when it could really have benefitted me? Revision, attention in class and social mistakes are all things that have ultimately affected who I am now.

So, how should I counteract this now? If I had paid more attention, I could have ended up with a higher grade and have advanced my perspective on things. Therefore, if I apply this past mistake to ‘now’ and learn from it, it’s telling me a very important lesson - I should always pay attention as it will always benefit me.  

In going to Old Sarum today, it’s taught me to look at things in a slightly new way, especially in reflection. But, in saying that, I did enjoy the walk with Jess and will return later in the week to go 
around the palace remains, take notes and hopefully write a short story about it. 

Jess shattered after a long walk

No comments:

Post a Comment